Women Changing the World: The Barefoot Solar Engineers

My mother-in-law just asked me to explain to our friend how Vent-flow bottles work. My mouth dropped as I thought about it. I had no answer. So I am so technically-challenged I can't even figure out a baby bottle, but luckily there are brighter and more inspiring women out there.

The Barefoot College in Tilonia, Rajasthan, India provides training in applied technology to encourage sustainable development in rural communties accross the globe. Women from undeveloped, rural areas have become a important element to this progress. Many are taking the first steps to bringing green energy to their communities and opening up new opportunties for the inhabitants. These women take a few months to study at the college, learn solar engineering, and then return home to lead development.

"When I return, I shall make my village a well planned place....The inhabitants of my island will be very happy because they will profit from the availability of electricity to carry out activities at night; our children will be able to review their school notes in the evening after classes, women and fishermen can continue to smoke their fish at any time they need to. In that way, we shall live like the whites in Marseille."

-Francoise Douhou of Mbwape village in Cameroon, Africa




For more information, visit http://www.barefootcollege.org/.

No comments: